Thursday, September 01, 2005

Will Ferrell makes me happy.



Will Ferrell makes me happy, yes he does. I watched 'Anchorman' last night and i haven't laughed so much in a while. I loved Will Ferrell in 'A Night at the Roxbury' and he just keeps getting better! He's one of those actors where I just have to look at his face and it makes me laugh (refer to left to see what i'm talking about). I also love Ben Stiller. They're so insanely ridiculous that you have to love them!

Anyway, 'Anchorman' is about the legendary news anchor Ron Burgundy. It's set in the 70s where women still aren't see on TV delivering the news as lead anchors. Burgundy comes with a messed-up team: The crude and lewd sportscaster, the self-loving reporter who thinks he's God's gift to women and the weatherman with an IQ of 48 (really, he has an IQ of 48). Still, they're the number one news crew in the whole of San Diego but when Christina Applegate's character, Veronica Corningstone, joins the station, things become interesting. She's definitely smarter than all four wackos combined but because she's a woman, she gets assignments that involve pet fashion shows and the like. Long story short, Veronica tries to prove her talent while dodging sexist retards in her station -namely Ferrell and co.-and she succeeds. Well, kinda. There's always a feel-good ending where everyone learns their lesson. I dunno about you but although I was rooting for Veronica's character most of the time, there's something lovable about Burgundy and loser buddies too. There are so many ROFL moments for me, so i can't exactly pinpoint which is my favourite. However, here are the most noteworthy scenes:

1. Five TV stations news crews meet in a back alley to 'fight it out', gangster style. Someone's arm actually gets cut off and all he says is, "I did NOT see that coming."

"My hair does NOT look bad!"


2. Roy Burgundy tries to impress Veronica Corningstone with the history of San Diego: "The name San Diego is actually German for 'whale's vagina'."

3. After exchanging insults, Veronica pauses for dramatic effect and says the 'ultimate' insult to Ron: "You have bad hair." Everyone gasps. Ron says in a quivering voice ,"That...was uncalled for."

4. Ron throws a burrito out of his moving vehicle, hits a biker, who skids off the road and ruins his precious bike. Really pissed off, he tells Ron that he's ruined the one thing he loves the most. He asks Ron what he loves most. "Well, I love poetry. And i love my dog here, Baxter." Upon which the biker picks up the dog and punts him off the bridge.

5. Burgundy playing the jazz flute at a bar. You have to watch it to see what I mean.

The movie has such ridiculous moments when you least expect it. Watch it if you're in need of a pick up on a gloomy day. Brad Pitt is hot but Will Ferrell is DA MAN!




No comments: