Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Karim Rashid

So there's this designer dude from New York. Karim Rashid, half Egyptian, half English (i hope i got my facts right). I was browsing through his website, getting to know the man and his work. Pretty modern stuff la: brightly coloured chairs that don't look too comfy, distorted mirrors, funky doggy bowls (i liked this) and he also designed the Issey Miyake women's fragrance bottles and limited edition Echo Davidoff. Anyway, what REALLY caught my attention was one of his furniture designs which went on display in the New York Sex Museum (reason #103 to visit the Big Apple). Check this out:


It's called the Karimsutra (no points for guessing how to use it). Talk about getting a conversation piece for your new home. Forget Lego. Now THIS is what i call hours of endless fun! But for comfort sake, I think it should be cushioned with PVC or leather or something. You could get some nasty accidents in the heat of the moment, if you know what I mean. Other cool stuff from Mr. Rashid: The Edra. And it's PINK!
Guest:"That's a cool giant kidney bean you have there..."
Me: "I know. Pick a pod and have a seat."



The Kloudchair. I think it swivels. And if it doesn't, I think it should.

And finally, the Worganic.
"To give your home a Dali look." heh heh. Disturbingly distorted makes these a delight!

There are some things I can't quite grasp though. Consider exhibit A:


This, ladies and gents, is what he calls a Pearl Mask. Perfect way of telling your significant other he/she's hideous:
Him: Here you go, honey. Happy Birthday.
Her: Oh Sugar Puff, you shouldn't have!
Him:Well, you did want pearls this year. Here, let me put it on for you.
Her: How does it look?
Him: Really brings out your eyes.

And I bring you, the Schmoo (I'm not making up all these names, really...)

"Prepare the spaceship for take-off, Commander."

And just how fashion-conscious is New York? They have DESIGNER manhole covers, people. You try stepping on one of these babies without being mauled by the fashion powh-leese.

"I'm too sexy for my shirt, so sexy, it hurts..."
-Right Said Fred (who fell off the bed and knocked his head when he wrote this song), I'm Too Sexy.

No comments: