Monday, February 07, 2005

Sorry, did you say something?

My boyfriend, Lester, offered to drive me around town this morning. I had to browse for coffee shops that serve 'ngau chap', for the magazine of course. And i couldn't drive and look around at the same time so i needed someone to assist me. I thought it was really sweet of him to offer, considering he's not working today and that he might prefer to laze around in bed rather than play chauffeur for me.

I figured out the hard way that my assumption was spot on.

First off, i always knew he wasn't a morning person. That's our main difference: I love getting up early and getting the most of my day but i start to nod off way before midnight. Lester, on the other hand, can sleep into the afternoon but stay up till 3am. So yeah, mid-afternoon to early evening are the times when we're both fully operational simultaneously.

But i digress. As i was saying, getting up before 9am was probably asking a bit too much from him. The minute i stepped into his car with a perky 'Hi!' his gloomy expression said it all. He was sleepy -having had a late night-, had a headache coming on and the works. To make a long story short, we drove around for two hours in silence. My attempt to make a joke turned offensive which soured him even more. And when he finally tried to make conversation, you could almost feel him using every ounce of willpower to do so. I hate forced conversations. You can smell them a mile away. Halfway, i even asked him to send me home so i could just get my car, drive myself and he could go back and get more rest. And, after all the talk about being sleepy, having a headache etc., he tells me, "No really, i want to do this for you." In my head, i'm like, "But every bone in your body doesn't." I just couldn't help but wonder was the luxury of being chauffeured around worth the deafening silence? I wanted to jump out the window at every red light. Instead, i chewed on my pen.

So i decided to keep quiet. We even had breakfast in silence. He told me not to take it personally. Okay. More silence. I paid for breakfast and we were outta there. And as if God wasn't amused enough, the whole of KK was experiencing a massive jam (Chinese New Year, expected). So it was more silence and the car not moving any faster to my office. I started playing tic tac toe with myself. I won all three times. I turned on the radio and all the stations were playing mushy love songs. Where's Marilyn Manson when you need him?

I guess that's what it's like when i'm pms-ing and the boyfriend is trying hard to get something out of me other than, "What?" "Mmm" "No" and *sigh* Yes, I was highly annoyed and offended with his behaviour but i suppose everyone's entitled to having their bitchy days. The trick is to stay away from them when this ill phenomenon occurs. I wish there was a sign, like the moon turning blue or little voices in your head going, "Stay away! Stay away!" (I'm sure you men agree on this).

I was just disappointed. I was excited at the prospect of spending the short time in between work. You know that excitement you feel on Christmas eve because you get to open your presents the next day? Or you've had a long day at work and you can picture your dog waiting to greet you at the door? It's that kind of anticipation. But it's no one's fault. Just bad timing. Ah well, there's always Gaya waiting for me at home :)

"You say it best...When you say nothing at all."
-Ronan Keating, When You Say Nothing At All. Haha i just couldn't resist!

No comments: