Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Oranges are not the only fruit.

Actually that's a title of a book by Jeanette Winterson. It was one of the books we had to read for Literary Criticism back in uni. Anyway, it comes to mind everytime i look at my desk, overladen with -you guessed it- oranges. It's that time of the year where the fruit du jour is indeed these citrusy little babies.

Everyday, at least two (mandarin) oranges appear on my table. Yesterday four BOXES arrived at the office and because so many people are already on leave for the Chinese New Year, what's left of us here have to bring back more than the usual share of oranges. Ugh. And if that's not enough, there are a couple of boxes waiting at home. Tis the season to be orange-y.

This will probably be one of the few blogs i'll write this week. The week-long holiday begins today and i've got no internet access at home for the mo (oh the horror!). We've been given half day off but i still have to run off to the Rasa Ria beach resort in Tuaran for a photo shoot. My manager wants me to have a look-see to make sure everything's running smoothly. Ah well, i'll get to check out some models so it'll be bearable, heh heh.

I've got to get home in time for the reunion dinner though. You know, i find it interesting how my Chinese blood kicks in during Chinese New Year. I mean, nobody in my family speaks the language (except dad but i've heard him converse twice in Hakka in my whole life) and I don't look the part. I don't even dare consider myself half Chinese because i live up so little to the culture. It's all kinda complicated because on top of all this, my surname is Leong.

Yeah, go figure.

Some people think i look like Chinese, some say Kadazan. I think i look like my mum. But back to Chinese New Year. It's cool how we 'sorta' celebrate it. We do the whole reunion dinner thing but our dishes aren't traditionally Chinese. We don't necessarily buy new clothes for the occassion but my parents have this thing about wearing only bright colours and to stay away from black. And we get ang pows. Ka-ching! Easily the best part of Chinese New Year for me, heh heh. Of course, as i get older every year, aunties and uncles declare loud enough for the whole KK to hear, "Wah so old oredi...Bila lagi kamu mau bagi kami ang pow?" Loosely translated to, "My look how old you are. So when will it be your turn to give us ang pows?" Also translated as, "Can't get anyone to marry you yet, huh? Poor thing."

I love family gatherings. Wish me luck.

I believe when the Kingdom comes,
Then all the colors will bleed into one
Bleed into one
But yes i'm still running.
-U2, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For


No comments: