Friday, February 18, 2005

Of oohs, aahs, aches and pains.

I spent my Wednesday at a spa. I was asked to do a write-up of the place and in return they gave me a free three and a half hour session. Normally I'd be happy as a clam to do these things but i've just recovered from my bout of flu and i was a bit worried about getting a massage with my clogged nose.

Anyway, i arrived at 11am (after making only ONE wrong turn this time) and was whisked straight to my 'session'. After i stripped down to my birthday suit -they gave me a robe so i still had some modesty intact, ehem- my first treatment was a thallaso foot bath. Basically, my masseuse, Christine, scrubbed my feet with some grainy stuff and bathed my feet in floating petals. Can you say 'princess'? heh. Next was my body scrub. Maybe i'm a prude but i'm not too crazy about being butt naked in front of strangers but since this was part of my job so to speak, i had to grin and 'bare' it (they give you disposable undies so, again, it could have been worse).


So she scrubs every inch (ok not EVERY inch) of my body with jasmine rice and oatmeal. It sounds strange but smells divine. After it dries up, everything is rinsed off with cucumber mush (c-c-cold) and i take a quick shower the rinse of what's left. Christine then leaves me alone in the room for my milk bath in the jacuzzi. Twenty minutes of soaking in milk and rose water, surrounded by candles and soft music - yeah completely cliched but i wasn't complaining! It definitely beat sitting behind my desk...

Next up: My Balinese massage. Basically, it's nice and not-so-nice at the same time. Nice because Christine managed to get rid of aches and pains i didn't even know i had. And not so nice because i discovered aches and pains i didn't even know i had. I actually dozed off the last ten minutes of my massage. I woke up and was ready for my facial. It was pretty nice except when the lady started massaging my shoulders and neck. I could hear a strange cracking sound and she told me it was the air in my body. Whatever it was...It hurt like hell. Anyway, she does the whole facial thingy and leaves my mask on for 40 minutes. FORTY minutes? i hear you exclaim. Trust me, it feels even longer if you were the one smothered with gunk, with no one to talk to for forty minutes. And then there was some eye treatment thingy which basically felt like someone was removing my eye-make up. But more refreshing.

So three and a half hours later, its back to office except that now i feel a lot lighter and my body's a tad greasy: you can't shower immediately after a massage. I could definitely get used to this.

Now my body feels like its been pounded, kneaded and grinded (what am i saying, it has been...) I thought i was supposed to feel better?


"Must've been love....but it's overrrrr now..."
-me in a Roxette mood.

No comments: