Thursday, October 13, 2005

Eye Tee My A**

Paperless society, information technology, cyberspace… So they say we’re moving forward. Everything is one click away. E-mails are more cost-effective than phone calls (albeit less personal). An office without a computer is like a pool without water. It just doesn’t work.

Enter Melissa’s world, Thursday, October 13, 2005. For the last three days, my office e-mail has gone missing in action. Let me backtrack here: The office uses Outlook Express but as luck would have it, mine died early this year, taking with him ALL my e-mails. I mourned but was soon introduced to Mozilla Thunderbird – yes, I use an e-mail programme that sounds like an Ultraman villain. It took me a week to get used to the whole thing (I’m SLOW so sue me) and I’ve finally come to terms that it’s not as user friendly as Outlook but it does the job. And today, the Gods of CPUtopia have cursed me again and vanquished my inbox and all its sacred contents.

Oh woe is me.

I’m annoyed, yes. But not devastated because I can still check my emails on the temperamental and unstable webmail server online. Completely user unfriendly but again, beggars can’t be choosers. So la la la I’m trying to log into Webmail and it tells me something along the lines of “I’m not available right now so piss off”. This happens for like five times in a row so I call our lone IT guy (who’s based in our parent company office, some five minutes away). Long story short, upon hearing the disappearance of my inbox and logging in problems, he says with a laugh, “What’s that got to do with me?”

“WHAT’S THAT GOT TO DO WITH ME?”

Just kept ringing in my ears. Gee, I dunno, what’s a surgeon got to do with performing surgery? Or golly gee whiz, you think carnivores eat meat? I dunno, maybe the Pope’s not Catholic…HELLO.

I have no patience for incompetence, ignorance and pure idiocy at this point. So I emailed the entire office to forward emails to my yahoo account due to the village idiot’s refusal to help me out.

It’s frustrating when a lot of your work depends on the influx of emails. Important emails. Not the ‘If you don’t forward this letter in 5 days your ears will rot and fall off’ kind of emails. More like, “Your kind attention to the abovementioned is highly appreciated. Best regards, Melissa Leong, Resident Company Mascot.”

Anyway, here’s the song blaring from my speakers as I try to cleanse myself of murderous thoughts involving computer cables and someone’s neck.

“Everytime you cry, save up all your tears,
I will be your rainbow when it disappears,
Wash away the pain, till you smile again,
I will be the laughter in your eyes,
Everytime you cry.”

-John Farnham, Everytime You Cry

No comments: