Monday, August 08, 2005

Mel’s Weekend.

I’m taking a break from work. I haven’t been able to write a coherent sentence for the last half hour – maybe because I keep thinking about my lunch hour, which is coming up soon, heh heh.

Anyway, I’m gonna blog about my weekend, just to get my writing engines running. Let’s see, we’ll start with Friday night. I attended a charity dinner and it was quite a major event. The highlight was the appearance of two Filipino soap opera stars, Kristine Hermosa (total babe) and Jericho Rosales (yummy). My mum is a big-time fan and when she found out about my dinner, she was super duper excited. I felt really bad that I didn’t have extra tickets though, cuz from the way she was talking, she would have given an arm and a leg to go. Anyway, I got to meet them up close because a friend’s mum is one of the organizers so… yada yada yada six degrees of separation later…we’re in the same room with Kristine and Jericho. And I tell you…TV and photos do no justice to how MAJORLY good looking these two are in real life.

And here’s me and my colleagues squeezing in a photo op with them.


But here’s the star-struck moment. While Jericho was singing, he actually came down from the stage, walked down the red aisle, stopped at our table and, while I was trying to swallow my heart back into position, he looked straight me and stopped walking. He kept singing, smiled and winked. I went into temporary cardiac arrest and only managed a pathetic finger-wave and mustered a croaky “hello”. My whole table went nuts (Ok, I know we sound like a bunch of sixteen years olds at a Backstreet Boys concert but I was enjoying the moment). Plus it was quite a rush and I haven’t been star struck for a while. The last celebrity I actually froze upon meeting face to face was Gloria Estefan, who signed an autograph for me and Mia. And that was circa 1992. Anyway, when I shared my Jericho story to Mia,Wil and the rest, I kinda got a cocked-eyebrow reaction. Aiya, hard to explain la my excitement, you had to be there.

Saturday – I woke up with a smile still pasted on from last night. It was eight a.m and by my standards, I consider that sleeping in. But I had my day planned so without further ado, I got up, showered, dressed and was out of the door by 9am. Cleared my credit card bills, paid my phone bill and was extremely pleased that I had avoided the weekend traffic jam due to the early morning. It was only ten and I didn’t feel like going home yet. I ticked off the people I knew in my head: Lester, working. Mia, working. Wilson, working. Selina, sleeping. Puei, KL. Yolanda, too far (haha). So I figured this would bea good chance for me to spend some time with my brother, Ted. Drove to his clinic and he promised me he only had one more patient to see before we head for a quick breakfast. Several rounds of Crusaders on his PC later, it’s 12:30pm and we FINALLY go for breakfast. Ok, lunch. The rest of my evening, I went over to Lester’s place, spent some quality time with him (ok, actually he napped while I killed zombies on his PS2). At night, watched ‘Are We There Yet?’ while eating KFC for dinner. A pleasant Saturday after all.

Sunday – had to work. Gave out Orang Utan stuffed toys to 300 kids at the airport. It was hot, stuffy and I made a mental note not to have 300 kids. Went to watch Stealth, with some initial apprehension. Stealth planes, explosions, technical jargon: Yes, I was worried this was going to be a jantan-fest movie. However, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the whole thing. One of the few movies where the trailers reveal little about the whole plot, giving it an excellent surprise element. Go catch it. And don’t worry, the plot and outcome make-up for the loud explosions (which made me cringe every few seconds. So loud oh). Lest and I went to a bookshop after that (as usual) and then he wanted ice cream. We weren’t hungry for dinner so we joined Mia, Wilson and Andrina for a drink while they ate (some kedai kopi in Beverly Hills….I just realized that sounds funny if you’re not Sabahan and have no idea where Beverly Hills is).

So that’s my weekend. Oh and I forgot to add that I’ve developed an annoying cough. Just when I thought I was fit as a fiddle.

Ok, lunch time!

“You’re gonna fly away,
Glad you’re going my way
I love it when we’re cruising together.”

-Huey Lewis and Gywneth Paltrow, Cruisin’. You can be rich, beautiful, talented and married to Chris Martin but still make mistakes: Like naming your daughter Apple.

No comments: