Friday, April 29, 2005

i want i want i want

I think our generation is too ambitious. Don't get me wrong. I think ambition is a good thing. But i've been thinking of the unnecessary stress we put upon ourselves. It's the constant search for that ultimate job, in hopes of a high salary, so we can afford that nice car and fancy condo, where we can raise our children, who will attend only the best schools and excel in music/sports/origami, and then proceed to be lawyers, doctors and engineers. Bleh. And twice a year, we get to travel to some exotic location so we come back and boast about it to our less-priviliged (read: happy with their simple lives, non-money grabbing, anti-designer label wearing) friends.

Oh and i forgot to mention that this should all be ideally achieved by/before/at the age of 30.

Maybe i'm exagerrating. Maybe I think too much. Maybe lunch time is approaching and i don't know how else to deal with my hunger. Thing is, I'm a bit tired of planning for the 'perfect' future these days. Pursuing my postgraduate, buying a house, getting a better car, looking for a higher-paying job... It never ends. Whatever happened to 'come what may'? Ok, granted, we all need to plan some things at some point. But i think our generation is obsessed with the notion of having/doing it all as soon as possible. Sometimes we just want too much, too soon. And hey, like i said, a little ambition isn't a bad thing but when your whole life begins to revolve around 'I want, I want, I want', it's time to take a reality check.

I'm gonna stop doing that. Let's face it: Whatever we make, it's never enough. When you have what you want, you'll always want more. Maybe it's a new economic principle (that supply/demand one was getting old anyway). I'm gonna stop house-hunting because truth is, i don't make reasonably enough to buy one yet. And my postgraduate? It's not a priority. A better car? Mine will do for now (i need to get rid of that squeaking sound though). A husband and 2.5 kids? If it's meant to happen, it will (if not, there's always match.com. Haha). And yeah, who doesn't want a higher-paying job? But right now, i work with people who have become my friends, i get to travel, write and on Fridays, i get 2 and half hours for lunch. Life's good. Right now, my short-term plans include buying bread so i can make sandwiches for my deep-sea fishing trip tomorrow. Oh and I need to buy a new toothbrush.

What's that song again? Oh yeah: Que sera, sera...

No comments: