Wednesday, September 24, 2008

On a roll.

Contrary to popular belief, 'free time' is not good for the mind, body and soul. For me, it leads to excessive consumption of alcohol, too much nicotine and, worse, over-analysing. So, I've turned to my first love: Books.

I'm currently reading five books at once - so no room for monotony and boredom here. Apart from talking things out to death with my chicas and breaking down at the most inappropriate moments (Yesterday, I couldn't untangle my phone cable and in my frustration, I started to cry. Yes, in the office. Can someone give me a hormone transplant please?), I've discovered that reading can be just as therapeutic. Note: It depends WHAT you read of course. Romance novels and stories of animals dying are not recommended.

So here's what's been taking up my time:

1. John Irving's Until I Find You - I have been reading this FOREVER and have yet to finish it. Not because it's not a good book, it's just that I keep picking up other stuff to read when I'm on the go because this book is a bit....fat to carry around. Heavy bah. Irving is one of my super duper favourite writers and his best novel in my opinion is The World According to Garp (read, read!). Anyway, this book i'm reading now revolves around an actor named Jack Burns, the bastard son of Alice a tattoo artist. Basically, he spends most of his life in search of his father - a mysterious character who is nothing but a concept to him for now. I dunno what happens yet but stay tuned!

2. Thick Face, Black Heart by Chin-Ning Chu - I've read this book again and again and now I'm adding another 'again' to that list. The book promises to teach you how to:
- fight back when you have been wronged
- Find your inner warrior and conqier your path
- Claim your natural right to dazzling wealth (wow...DAZZLING some more)
- Unchain your primitive killer instinct for a life-affirming cause
- Apply deception without sin to win the deal you want
- Dare to succeed by cultivating the courage to fail
- Transform your negative qualities to your advantage

Muahaha...With this book I will conquer the universe! Ok seriously, I love this book. Don't worry, it sounds more preachy than it really is. What I like most is how practical and applicable the advice is in everyday life. And it's so inspiring that it makes me wanna go out and buy a sword! I AM A WARRIOR!

3. Mars and Venus Starting Over: A Practical Guide For Finding Love Again After a Painful Breakup, Divorce or Loss of a Loved One by John Gray PhD: Yes, this book has 'Boo hoo' written all over it. But right now, it helps. I can't help but wonder, can you imagine being married to John Gray? This guy seems to have all the answers about men AND women, it would be impossible to argue with him.

Wife: Honey, you didn't take out the trash like I asked you to!
John Gray: I know this makes you feel like I don't care or love you. But actually I am just operating differently as a man, as a resident of Mars. What may seem like an important act of responsibility to you, actually holds little significance in terms of how much I love you. It's just that I may express it in a different way...
Wife: *rolls eyes* Here we go again.

4. He's Just Not That Into You by Greg Behrendt & Liz Tucillo - What do you mean you haven't read this???? Any living, breathing, heterosexual woman MUST read this book at least once in her life. Greg and Liz wrote and were consultants for Sex and The City - need I say more? There are so many: OMG why didn't I think of that? moments in this book. One of my favourite lines in the book is: You already have one asshole. You don't need another one in your life. Poignant and straight to the point. Fantastic read.

5. It's Called a Break-up Because It's Broken by (you guessed it) Greg Behrendt & Amiira Ruotola-Behrendt - Greg teams up with his wife to remind you what a SUPERFOX you really are! This book became my bible during the demise of a 3-year relationship with you-know-who. Greg and Amiira stress that you are lucky to be rid of him if:
1) He cheated on you
2) He belittled you
3. He frequently blew you off
4) He owned a Kenny G CD
5) He had a girlfriend
6) He had a boyfriend

haha. How can you not love this book? Sometimes, you gotta learn to laugh at the tragedies in life in order to live again.

Read anything good lately?

No comments: