Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Blessings.

It's so easy for us to lose sight of the good when you are constantly focused on the bad. In perspective, 2008 has proved to be one of the most challenging years of my life (and it's still September. Bring it on, October-November-December!).
So today, I am going to count my blessings.

1. I have my health
Okay so I'm not an Olympian and my idea of exercise is moving from the couch to the fridge. But I am healthy and normal (don't start...). My limbs are fully functional and I am not in agonising pain. Every breath I take is a pure miracle. Be grateful.





2. I have the best family in the world.

My darling niece Leilana and her Oggie.

My annoying brother Johann (who I really love to bits anyway, dammit) and beautiful Lola who spoils her grandchildren rotten!
We're far from perfect. But my parents have shown us more than 40 years of what a good marriage is. My siblings and I have been through thick and thin together; we've seen the best and worse of each other. But family means never giving up on each other and I know even when the world turns against me, I have them right by my side. And over the years I've realised how fiercely protective they are of me - which is both a good and bad thing, mind you. I guess it comes with being the youngest. The eldest, Ted, has been my source of sage-like wisdom and drugs (I knew medical school would benefit us in the end). My sis, Carmen - or Wen as we call her - I feel is the strongest of us all, because of all the adversity she has gone through and I can always count on her when I need an emotional outlet or to drink myself blind (she has quite the bar at home. Bless her!). Johann has been the typical pain in the neck brother whose life mission seems to be, "How can I irritate her today?". Yes, even though he's 34 and I'm 29, we still play "The last one to touch Dad while he's fixing the car is a monkey's butt." I dunno why I layan but I just cannot resist his stupid dares. That aside, I go to him when I need to be slapped silly with sense. He's cruel in the kindest way.
Papa and Mama Leong, heh heh.
And my nieces. Ah, my nieces! My most precious darlings - Bubbly Danielle, Crazy Francine and Precocious Leilana. So sayang them. And eventhough Danielle and Francine are growing up WAY too fast, they'll always be my little girls. (And no, girls, I dunno who's cooler, Blink 182 or Good Charlotte).

3. I have the best chicas in the world.

Bad haircuts. Huge plastic-rimmed glasses. Embarassing moments around the cutest guys. Buying overpriced panties. Having one more drink, just ONE more. Giving into butter demands at 2 a.m after a drunken night out ("Mel, it's 2am, i don't think the hotel can send butter up at this hour....Ok ok I go look for butter.Stop crying."). Mothers In Law whom we will protect you from - Stand back EVIL WITCH! Sending ice cream to your office just because you're having a bad day. Reminding me that I can do so much better than that asshole of a man. We are all so lawa mau mati. Karaoke sessions that we do not speak of. Crotch sizes (Carol, that will forever be etched in my memory). Telling the same jokes and still finding it funny when no one else gets us (they are bodo, not us).

And for just making me feel fabulous on any given day. I heart you girls so very much, even when our nenens become senget and we need bifocals.

4. I have had some awesome experiences.
With the owners of Bukit Naga Amanpuri, Kuala Penyu.
In my brief existence, I've managed to meet wonderful people, seen amazing places and enjoyed mind-blowing moments. How can I not be thankful for those?



L-R: Japan 2005 for the Mt. Fuji Mountain Race, Fishing at Mengalum, Gomantong Caves,
Mel does Macau!, Meeting Ian Wright - my hero, Doing the Death March in Telupid, Marvelling Mabul, so pretty.

5. I've loved and lost and loved...

They were/are great friends, that's what matters. And one point, the love of my life. Romance can be fleeting but I can look back now and see how everyone comes into your life for a reason. The lessons you learn are invaluable. And instead of looking at the tears shed, I'd rather remember the laughter shared. It took a lot of time for me to be where I am in this department and trust me, I'm still learning and making my share of mistakes along the way. But I don't think I'll ever give up on love. Schmuck. And proud of it.
I could go on and on. My blessings are bountiful. And I praise the Lord each day. All we can do is surrender our life in His hands and trust that He has his reasons for everything we go through. Today, I count my blessings.

No comments: