Friday, March 04, 2005

Surfing.

I did myself some surfing today. Internet surfing that is. Found some interesting reads (hey it's Friday, i deserve to sit back and relax. Wait a minute, don't i already do that every other day?)
Anyway, here's an article i thought was worth posting:

A Different Life by Jennifer Tai

Last month, Reuters published an article about how Japan is facing a failing birth rate because of a growing number of Japanese women want to stay unmarried.
The article also reported that seven in ten single Japanese women surveyed by a conservative Japanese newspaper said they would rather stay unwed, and thus reflects the recent trend among single women who no longer attach social stigma to choosing the single life


..............

Of course, Japanese women are more than the sum of their clothes. Apparently, they are also very forward-looking - and forward-being. Which Asian country can profess to have a majority of young women who are comfortable with being single for the rest of their lives?
Can a Malaysian young woman today, claim the same? And should she?


I'd told myself that I'd marry late. Get a career going, see if climbing the corporate ladder suited me, see if I could find a guy who could tolerate a gal who was not afraid to speak her mind AND smoked.
The day finally happened when I was 28, exactly the age I predicted that I would get married - along with an allegedly clairvoyant colleague of mine from another life.
Thinking back - and this is something a lot of women are ashamed to admit to - I could have never imagined a life without a man and eventually, kids. No matter how gung ho I was about my career, I knew one day that I just had to nest. Deep inside, I was as traditional as the next Chinese-tea drinking, Chinese-calligraphy-writing, cheongsam-wearing Chinese girl.


So what is with this complex of women wanting to be out there alone, doing our thing, making it in the world? It's like we are overcompensating for centuries of oppression.

Do the men harbour ambitions of a lifetime of singlehood?

................

As a woman and a mother, I believe that it is the right, and privilege, of every woman to seek companionship and to bear children. While we have more opportunities today than ever before, we must not forget our eternal roles as mothers and nurturers.

You may not want to get married or have children, but don't let it be in the name of gender equality. In the same vein, don't get married and multiply because of peer pressure.

Things that make you go hmm... You can read the whole article at http://www.msn.com.my/women/love/article1/default.asp

Oh, also worth a visit is www.baltimoresun.com. I highly recommend Kevin Cowherd's column, heh. Thanks for the tip, Lester!

Time to greet another weekend. Over and out.

"Whenever we kiss I get a feeling like this
I get to wishin' that there was two of you
My heart cries out 'More baby!'
I love you so much
I wish that there was more of you to touch
-Smashmouth, Can't Get Enough of You Baby

No comments: