Monday, August 04, 2008

August.

August and I have not been on good terms for a few years now. I dunno what it is about this time of the year. It's like 31 Mondays all crammed into one month - each day shittier than the next. Ok ok maybe not all 31 days. More like...29.

Let me track back the years to prove my point:

August 2005 - My boyfriend of 3 years dumps me at a club in front of all my friends. I guess all that cranberry vodka he was drinking finally grew him a pair and there was no time like the present to drop the chocolate-covered bombshell: "I don't see a future with you." Cue running to the bathroom, cue breaking down in front of my friends and a bunch of strangers (not to mention some juniors from school - how mortifying). To be fair, we had been fighting non-stop the past month (damn you August!). Here's an excerpt from my August 2005 entry:

“I’d rather be with someone compatible than someone I love. And you and I are not compatible.” Heart slamming. Not a good feeling. - August 5th, 2005.

And the Curse of August was born.

August 2006 - Just when things aren't looking too shabby, H announces that he's leaving for Canada. And again my world tumbles. It's a month of the longest goodbye ever.

Seriously, I wish nothing but the best for him. If I had my way, I'd bring Canada here so he could study and I'd still have someone around to remind me my car's about to fall apart if I don't service it soon. - August 25th, 2006

August 2007 - I start to feel restless and frustrated with my job. I'm starting to lose my so-called passion for the job and it sucks. And I'm not coping well with H being so far away.

It's August and I just want the months to go as quickly as possible. Every morning, I wake up and sigh in relief that another day has gone. I know there will be a time when I want time to slow down but right now, I wish someone would push the fast-forward button already.

And my job. Ah, my job my job. The opportunities it has presented me have been fantastic, no doubt. The traveling, meeting people etc etc. But as a writer...Sometimes I don't know if I'm a 'writer' anymore. For the last four years, I've had to write a certain way and my fear is that I'm stuck in that 'way'. To an extent, I feel stifled. I love writing. I may not be the best writer out there but I love what I do. But after some years in the industry, who am I kidding...Writing doesn't pay the bills. - August 3rd, 2007.

And this year? Let's wait and see what August has up her sleeve, the little b*tch.

No comments: