Thursday, January 27, 2005

Moolah.

Yo blogged about money today. Which got me thinking. Which led to blogging. Anyway, I share her sentiment on saving. It never seems enough, does it? I save dutifully but whenever I calculate how much I’ll save in a year, I get depressed again. There has to be another way (ways that won’t land me in prison, mind you).

March is the worst month for me. On top of the other payments, my car insurance payment is due as well. That’s when I dip into my savings (which was put aside for the car insurance anyway) and I’m back to square one. Ouch. How in the world am I gonna save up to get my own place at this rate? I could look for a better paying job but I doubt it will be a ‘better’ job in terms of satisfaction. I love what I do and I get along great with my colleagues. My hours are reasonable. There’s no way I’d leave all this right now. Maybe a couple more years. Or unless some really amazing opportunity comes along. Or I win the lottery. Yeah and maybe I’ll sprout wings and fly over the moon.

But seriously, a better paying job would be great. Or even better, THIS job but better pay. Wow, I’m a genius. If only it was that simple. I’ve contemplated giving tuition to secondary school students and doing more freelance writing. I’ve done the latter but the former requires commitment and dedication (hey, my evenings rearranging my CDs and talking to my cat are very precious okay…) Sigh, how now purple cow?

I’ve been careful with money. In fact, I even cancelled the Bangkok trip and opted for a cheaper alternative: a weekend at Kinabalu National Park. Which turned out to be a fantastic weekend despite the fact it was a bit too cold for my liking, especially after the sun went down. We barbecued at the cabin’s balcony, huddled around the fireplace and conquered the world – we were playing ‘Risk’ actually but some people were SERIOUS about taking over the territories of Irkutsk and Madagascar, ehem (ok, as I recall, I think I fell asleep by the fireplace whilst the rest of my holiday buddies played Risk. It was just too cold, can you blame me?)
Anyway, watch this space for more bright money-making ideas. And hey, I might just win the lottery…

“If I were a rich girl…I’d have all the money the world, if I was a wealthy girl.”
- Rich Girl, Gwen Stefani stating the obvious.

No comments: