Monday, May 11, 2009

Letdown.

I spent the past couple of weeks putting together a talk for the Sabahan bloggers regarding Vote Sipadan as one of the New 7 Wonder of Nature (its all here on votesipadan.com ).

I went to Clement Lee's (one of our Director's and Sipadan expert) office to see if we could get him as a guest speaker and hooray! he agreed.

I got all the goodies sorted out to be distributed.

I didn't want them to hungry neither so I booked a light buffet spread for 40 people.

I raved to my bosses how the Bloggers are the most excellent channel for this campaign.

My boss caught on my enthusiasm and even showed up for the talk. I was nervous but excited. After all, 37 people said they were coming. More than 10 double-confirmed, which I took as a good sign.

I worked a good part of Saturday - the day of the event - to make sure I had everything in order. And then, the time finally came.

My team and I waited in anticipation. 7:00pm. Any moment now, those bloggers will come streaming in.

.....

They did.

All TWO of them.

Anyway, long story short, I have good, reliable friends who came swooping to the rescue. They called their friends etc etc and by 8:15pm, we had at least 20 people (ok, so more than 50 percent of them were my office-mates).

The night ended well, despite the poor turnout. I was, to say the least, disappointed. Why would 35 people say, "Yes, we'll be there!" and then do the opposite? I am trying my best to give everyone the benefit of a doubt but at the end of the day, I was completely letdown.

It's not fair to pigeon-hole the WHOLE blogging community (because I AM grateful for the few who did show up despite the last minute invite) but I can't say much about the rest, can I? And yes, I know not everyone knew about the talk - so no, I am not referring to those who had no idea what was going on.

But shame on you for RSVP-ing and turning your backs. I've lost my faith and I feel completely humiliated after all the hard work my team and I put in.

On a less bitter note, a big shout-out to Yo, Mia, Jeremy and Melvin H. for roping in whoever they could at the last moment. I can't say thank you enough.

No comments: