Friday, January 23, 2009

Pulling the plug.

My friend finally quit her hair-pulling, teeth-gritting job. And I am so damn proud of her. It took her a while to finally pull the plug on her miserable job but I understand it's because she had a lot to consider - her husband and a family to support. But when push came to shove, it just took a toll on her and she finally said, "Job be damned."

Amen to that.

The job was pulling her down in more ways than one, sometimes in ways she didn't even notice. Her self-esteem was at an all time low, thanks to her egoistical, selfish and self-righteous employers. Going to work everyday was like anticipating a root canal appointment and I could just hear it in her voice. And she also had a baby on the way amidst the frustration.

So yes, she's finally leaving that hell-hole and I am so happy for her. Nobody deserves to have a Groundhog Day moment with their shit jobs. And it made me realise how many people HATE their jobs. If I got 20 cents for every time I hear, "I hate my boss! I hate my job! I dread going in tomorrow!", I'd be a millionaire by now.

Why do we let our jobs consume us? Our work should not define us - It's merely to make ends meet. Some people are so proud to say, "Oh wow, I pulled an all-nighter in the office" or "I bring my work home every night" - And they get defensive saying, "Hey, i have a lot of work and I can't finish it all at the office." Bah, ok lah. But when it becomes a habit, it's just plain sad. Isn't it enough we spend 9 hours a day, five days a week on an average, in the office? And I am in an industry where weekends are filled with entertaining people and attending mindless dinners where the conversations revolve around the superficial 'how are yous' and air kisses. Please.

I cannot fathom waking up filled with dread every morning at the thought of performing my duty. Walking into a building where I have to deal with idiots as co-workers all day. Or a boss whose sole purpose in life seems to be seeing how loud she or he can shout at his employees today. I know it's utopian but your job should be something you feel a sense of pride in. Something you feel committed to. Something you actually give a damn about. And I am not prejudiced - because even if that job is scooping poop off the sidewalk, I say DO IT if it makes you happy. Yes, get a job that pays the bills but seriously, that SHIT job you have right now, the one that makes you feel like the grime at the bottom of your shoe...Do you really think that's the ONLY job in world that's gonna help you make ends meet?

Don't start that "But the economy is so bad right now..." bullshit with me. I'm not asking you to quit your job and apply to be America's Next Top Model. Just consider the thought that no job is worth the misery you put yourself through, day in day out. Life is too short as it is and to be spending a majority of your time in an environment that's going to shorten your life even more....It's just no way to live.

You don't have to LOVE your job, just don't stay in one that you hate.

No comments: