Monday, June 01, 2009

The F Word

It's been three days and I've stayed away from the F word.

No, not that F word. The other one - yep, Facebook.

I've made a spontaneous decision to give FB a break indefinitely. As wonderful a social tool it may seem, it is my humble opinion that it has turned many a life into a fishbowl experience. Not that I'm Angelina Jolie and everyone wants a piece of my fantastic Brad-full life, but sometimes the constant barrage of where what why when who why on FB can be suffocating.

Don't get me wrong - I am grateful for what FB has done for me, especially in terms of getting me back in touch with many missing links. On the other hand, sometimes
I find myself enslaved by FB. Admit it: how many of us start our day with logging on to the magic of FB?To the point that sometimes I feel guilty should I fail to log in within 24 hours! What if I have an e-mail? What if someone needs to ask me something important? What if I miss out on so and so's latest pix of his/her wedding, birthday party, drunken night out, trip to Batu Caves bla bla bla? What if someone sends me poker chips?


Plus, at the risk of sounding pretentious or minta puji, I currently have 367 friend requests from random people. And I don't know whether to decline or accept their requests as:
a) I have no idea who some of them are but we seem to have plenty of 'common friends'
b) I might have met them before but I can't remember so it would seem thoughtless of me to decline
c) I don't want to appear unfriendly but I REALLY don't know who you are!

And i figured something out. The people who really do need to get in touch with me KNOW how to find me. If i wanted to share something dire with those who matter, I'd also find a way to let them know. Whaddaya know, they have things called handphones, e-mails, even postcards. Or what was that thing we used to do before all this technology....Ohhhh that's right: MEET people.

So i'm just laying low in FB for a while. Besides, I know my coolest friends will find me right here at my blog, no? :-)

No comments: