Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Papaya Theory

My Papaya got married recently.

But before that, let me explain the Papaya Theory of Relationships. At some point, everyone has a Papaya in their lives. Someone you've secretly pined for, the one in your heart of hearts. That one person who still makes you smile when you think of him or her after 10 years and you go, "Sigh, if only." That somewhere along the path of fate, you were ALMOST meant to be...but not quite.

And you know it's not going to happen. And even with that fact, its ok because life goes on as it should. And then one day *BAM* you find out he's seeing someone else. Or worse, he's getting married. Which means it won't be as fun imagining the 'What Ifs' and 'If Onlys' when it comes to him. Thus, he is now the Papaya.

See, it's like this: Say you don't really like to eat papayas. You don't hate them but if it's there, you're not necessarily gonna eat it neither. Ambivalence. In fact, you don't even THINK of papayas. Kinda like...taking them for granted. And the one fine day, the doctor tells you: I'm afraid you can't eat papayas for the rest of your life due to some super-weird medical condition.

And that's the moment you think, "But I WANT my papaya. I want to eat papayas!" And it drives you absolutely nuts. It didn't matter before - but now that it's off limits, it's all you can crave for. You know you'll live without having another bite of papaya (you've always been a mango person anyway) but...still.

Yeah, maybe it's a selfish theory but it's definitely applicable. I haven't spoken to my Papaya in years and I had a crush on him since I was 12! That's all it was, a childhood crush. But even after a string of relationships - He's still my Papaya. And now that he's on someone else's plate (and I do wish them all the best), it leaves me a little...Papaya-less.

Who's your Papaya?

No comments: