Thursday, May 12, 2005

Look,ma, no hangover!

Yep, had another drinking session last night, all in the name of work. This is getting tiring. After a couple of beers at a couple of sorta-dodgy clubs, my team and I headed to Shenanigan’s (aka Den of Evil) to get some serious partying done. Well, more like serious drinking anyway. Out came the jugs of vodka lime, whiskey coke… And the inevitable bottle of Black Label. Hoo ha hoo ha a bit but after an hour or so, I decided to take a seat. Turned out to be a mistake because I started drifting off. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I actually nodded off in Shenanigan’s amidst the noise and crowd. Haw figured that was the cue for all of us to head back. It was almost 1am when we staggered to his car, me clinging to his shirt for fear of making facial contact with the tar road. Or getting hit by a moving vehicle as we crossed the road. Either way, wouldn’t be a pretty sight.

Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t drunk. After so many years of drinking, trust me, I’d know the difference. I was already exhausted from working the whole day and pub-hopping wasn’t exactly the most relaxing thing to do. Alcohol + fatigue = room spinning and inability to keep eyes open and head up. It was a weird sensation. My body felt like lead but I was still aware of everything around me. But my eyes were just…so…heavy. I decided Haw’s sleep-inducing collection of songs playing on his CD player was the last thing I needed to I slipped in some Bon Jovi CD. We both started singing Bed Of Roses at the top of our lungs and, for a brief moment, I was the best drummer in the world (minus the actual drum set. Heh).

Made my way up the stairs after checking all the locks on the doors. My cat, loyal as ever, meowed (in annoyance? Pleasure to see me? I couldn’t tell). Washed my face, brushed my teeth and picked up Gaya from the toilet bowl he fell in (and I thought I was tipsy). Wiped his paws dry, gave him water to drink and I plopped on my bed. Cringed at the thought of going to work the next morning.

But here I am. Sleepy. Drowsy. BUT no hangover. And I think that’s what matters most. Cheers all around.

Next pub-hopping outing: Saturday night. Sigh. Stay tuned for more Adventures of the Drinking Kind.

“I wanna lay you down in a bed of roses
For tonight I'll sleep on a bed of nails...”

-Bon Jovi, Bed of Roses. Didja know he wrote this song for his wife? Trivia for the day compliments of Haw.

No comments: