Monday, July 19, 2010

The Graveyard Book

I haven't raved about a book in a long time (or blogged for that matter) but here I am, oozing with love for Neil Gaiman's 'The Graveyard Book'.

I am strong believer that the best books literally just come your way when you least expect it and this was the case for The Graveyard Book. Selina had mentioned in passing about Gaiman and I figured, why not check this book out? That was more than 2 months ago. Last Friday, I finally got my hands on this book and all it took was the first page and I was completely hooked (okay I didn't mean for that to rhyme). It tells of a young boy, later named Nobody Owens or 'Bod' by his adoptive parents, who decide to give him a home after his whole family is murdered. The interesting twist? His new 'family' are a bunch of ghosts and his new home is the graveyard. And so Bod grows up having the 'Freedom of the Graveyard' where he roams as the only living being. Gaiman is a true literary genius - not only is his storyline riveting but his characters are a breath of fresh air, enveloped in originality. From the ghost of a drowned witch who turns out to be quite the unexpected ally to the antagonistic character simply known as The Man Jack - twisted, creepy and just plain evil.

I won't give away too much of the plot but for the first time in a long time, I finished a book in less than a day! I fell in love with Bod and his depressing albeit charmed life. But most of all, I think I fell in love with Gaiman for his dry humour, quick wit and seamless storytelling. Well, he is British after all:
And not bad looking at all, eh? I heard that a movie is in the works but am still doing my research on this. Again, I fear it might not do justice to the book (cases in point: Kiss the Girls, Memoirs of a Geisha, The World According to Garp...I could go on). Fingers crossed. Oh and if he sounds familiar, Gaiman brought you the bestselling 'Coraline'. What can I say - he's so brilliant he makes me want to live in a graveyard.

No comments: