Monday, November 01, 2004

Why I Watch Horror Movies by Melissa Leong

Why do we watch horror movies? Two words: Cheap thrills. Some people bungee jump, others skydive. Me? I watch horror movies. Sometimes the scarier the better. Sure, I end up sleeping with the radio on for the next seven days or so but the adrenaline rush was worth it.

I went to watch The Grudge last Saturday. I know it’s a horror movie and I KNOW it’s gonna scare the bejesus out of me. I KNOW I’m gonna have flashbacks and I KNOW I won’t be able to look in the mirror while I brush my teeth. Does that stop me? Nope. In fact, I’m so proud that I kept my eyes open throughout the movie this time. I think I’m getting better. When I went to watch Exorcist: The Beginning a few weeks ago, I was staring at my friend’s shoulder instead of the (huge-ass) screen – making the demon-possessed face 50 times bigger mind you - for the last fifteen minutes. I really didn’t need the visual horror at that point, thankyouverymuch. There’s something about a possessed demonic face with a deep groveling voice that keeps me awake with the light on at night…

Anyway, back to The Grudge. I never did watch the Japanese version but saw enough of the trailer to know it wasn’t pretty. The American remake, with Sarah Michelle Gellar, was freaky enough as it is and they kept the Japanese setting. They stayed true to the original plot and there’s just something creepier when there’s an Asian element (seriously, I think the wailing pontianak is much scarier than any of Buffy’s wrinkly vampires in miniskirts). There were lots of scenes that stick in your head in The Grudge. From staying back late in the office (no more overtime for me) to riding the bus, it reminds you that ANYthing can happen ANYwhere ANYtime. You know that classic scene where the girl thinks she’s safest in her apartment under her covers and then something is actually under the covers WITH her?

I wanted to vomit blood and poke my eye at the same time.

After the movie, you tell yourself, “That’s it! That’s the last horror movie I’m gonna watch.” Of course, what you REALLY mean is…For now. Until you need that cheap thrill again. Last night, I left the radio on and dimmed my lights instead of turning them off. Happy thoughts, happy thoughts….

Bungee jumping doesn’t sound so bad after all.


"We've got nothing but the radio on..."
-some Dave Koz song.

No comments: