Monday, August 30, 2004

Pieces of me.

Oh, feels like I can finally rest my head on something real,
I like the way it feels.....
- Ashlee "at-least-i-know-what-tuna-tastes-like" Simpson, the smarter one of the Simpson sisters.

Damn song's been ringing in my head and then it comes on the radio. Today is Monday but it's not so bad because tomorrow's a public holiday. Merdeka! Do i have a Malaysian flag hanging from my car? No. Not because i'm not patriotic but i think it's distracting and unflattering. But, i do have a nice one perched on my office table. How about that? :)

I was watching the Merdeka day ads on TV. And yes, Petronas has come up with a winner as usual. You know the ad, the one that makes you kinda teary eyed at the end and you try to be cool by saying, "Yeah that wasn't bad for a Malaysian ad *sniff, something in my eye...mumble mumble*"
There may be some Malaysian habits and attitudes we could do without (like Princess Yo's F.Idiot mentality for one and lousy service at government departments ...) but there are some cool things we tend to overlook. Here's a short list from the top of my head:

1) No natural disasters: sure we get the occassional strong winds but that's wimpy compared to an earthquake.

2) We don't live in a war zone: i need to explain this?

3) We're not poverty-stricken: We're spoiled. "What? Sabah doesn't have a Starbucks??? Bah, die lah..."

4)The weather: Yes, you heard me. I'll take the blazing sun over the bloody Melbourne '4-seasons-in- a-day' anytime.

That's what comes to mind anyway. Yeah, maybe i'm feeling a bit sentimental about my country after all....

Happy Merdeka.








1 comment:

LonaDay said...

yah, yah, ok. got good and bad like any other country. anyways, what F. Idiot said was that the silver medalist for one of the events should be stripped off his medal because he was gay. "whats the point of being gay if the other guy has the same thing? its disgusting! i mean for girls its ok la. blablabla." Mein Gott!